Sunday 17 March 2013

Home and family

I have been living with my husband and two daughters in the Netherlands for the last 13 years. It's not Amsterdam as we had originally planned but a village near 's Hertogenbosch  (translates as "the Duke's Forest"). Surprisingly enough we have stayed a lot longer than we intended having initially said we'd return to Switzerland after two years! We love living here and have adapted quite a bit to the lifestyle here, eating hagelslag for breakfast, cycling everywhere and even wearing orange for all the national occasions and football events.


Unless you are Dutch you probably refer to The Netherlands as Holland. Ever wondered what the difference is? 

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is a fascinating video Helen. I never knew any of the information there. The narrator speaks at the speed of sound!!! lol!!! oh and I like your picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked this clip check other CGP Grey clips about the UK and London

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you were able to embed the video! When I was accessing earlier from my hotel room this was still just a link.

    Yes I often feel the need to explain about the UK and CGP Grey does a great if rapid-fire job of it in the second video that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Joanne, this is a fascinating video. I really didn't know about all the additional Caribbean islands that also belong to the Kingdom of The Netherlands. True to the speaker's word, the explanation about The Netherlands became more complicated. I can now understand why it can be much simpler to for a traveler to say s/he is planning to visit Holland.

    ReplyDelete